Hi Pemberley,

Here's a quote from polarbear that describes issues very similar to what I'm seeing in DS:

Consider having your ds evaluated by a Speech Language Pathologist. Chances are that you are thinking why do this? My ds' speech is a-ok... and yep, my ds' speech (verbal) is also a-ok - or so it seems, he's extremely verbal and can clearly speak at a way-ahead-of-age-level of comprehension... about things he knows about. The thing that was very subtle for our ds and passed our radar completely was he was very challenged with generating thought output in either speech or writing when he was faced with an abstract request. It showed up in writing first because there's no way to hide in the classroom... but after a few years when ds was a bit older and was starting to understand himself a bit better he started mentioning the same types of challenge with verbal expression. His initial SLP eval would never have qualified him for help at school, but it showed a large discrepancy in abilities similar to the WISC score, and the SLP who administered the test noted a significant increase in the time required to answer questions on that part of the test.

His articulation is fine, and his spelling is not too shabby. There's nothing obvious that would make a person think that speech therapy would be helpful.

Mo