Hi, My 4th child is in 1st grade. He is an older 1st grader. He is reading at 4th grade level. Math is just a year ahead but his number sense is very good. He just hasn't been introduced to all math concepts yet but his pace of learning is always so fast.
He only needs to see things once or twice and he knows it!

Unlike my other children, I have not had his full IQ tested. He did do the Naglieri Non Verbal and scored 99%+ on that one.

Kindergarten in the regular classroom went ok. His teacher was very capable and was able to pull him to a special aide for reading. He was also given special math activities. She "got" him.

Now we are in 1st and it's been a horrible 1st nine weeks. He has a new 2nd year teacher. She is a gifted adult with two HG gifted students and an engineer husband. She decided to become a teacher so that she could make sure that each child is challenged, etc. So her heart is in the right place and intentions good. The problem is that she seems to have no control in the classroom. The kids are all scattered. My son is BORED. When I volunteer he looks miserable. The other moms who have been volunteering have reported the same things to me about the teacher and my son.

My son is a rule follower and likes structure. So he won't be disruptive. He's been begging me to homeschool him. He cries every morning before school. He's been complaining of headaches for a month now (we've had medical issue ruled out including eyes.) He now has to take melatonin every night to sleep and NEVER had problems prior to this year!

His best friend and neighbor tried school this year for the 1st time and is in this same class. His mom is pulling him back to homeschool mostly because of her disappointment in the class. My son is going to flip when he finds out. I can't imagine him dealing with still having to go to school.

My son is super easy. So different than my other 3 kids. He is self motivated, focused and likes to play on his own. I am really considering homeschooling him this year and maybe next. Once they hit 3rd grade school seems to become more tolerable for many gifted kids.

I am going to talk with the principal first to check other options. Short of grade skipping, I don't know what else to do. I don't think a grade skip will really fix the problem. Plus he's got a sister in the next grade up...ughh.

I have talked to his teacher but she just really is overwhelmed. I know she wants to do right by him but she just can't. I don't know if she's got it in her. Even if she does a few things it's not going to fix the rest of the day for him.

Thoughts? Is he far enough ahead that it makes sense to homeschool because his school can't really meet his needs right now?

Anyone homeschool for part of the year? I was thinking of putting him back in school this coming spring? Unfortuntely, my state doesn't offer part time homeschooling.

Thanks