When I read the article it brought me back to HS 1980 and an SAT score of 990, I took the test a 2nd time and scored 970, so much for the SAT. I was middle of my class 63 of 121 with a 2.61 GPA. I only remember this because I recently found my HS transcript. The funny thing is everybody thought of me as smart, I thought of me as smart (still do sometimes). It was unfortunate that the lady in the article identified herself by the score, and or the label. Maybe because of my age or life experiences I have learned that I choose my own labels, not a score on a test. It’s my choices that define me, not the labels others give me. It’s unfortunate that societal labels such as gifted carry with them so much emotional content. How easy it is for us to say my child is not the best athlete, or even athletically gifted. But when it comes to IQ (By whatever means you test) it is much more important. Most studies show it is the better emotionally we are able to deal with adversity, and the better work ethic we have the better off we tend to be. Many based upon poor anecdotal experiences believe that gifted means successful, and by that not gifted means failure. In looking back at my history, any failures I have had are usually due to lack of effort, lack of desire, fear, or bad choices. I have never been held back because of IQ. Yes if you are smart, (a quick learner) there are some advantages, as well as costs. I do not condemn the lady in the article; it’s hard not to project our fears and perceived inadequacies on our children. DS10 at 6 was going to be a world champion chess player. I had it all worked out for him, until he decided he didn’t want to play anymore. He chose not to because of the effort needed to be great at chess was much more than the fun in just playing. Lucky for us I saw that chess was not his passion. He is now starting the Baritone Sax (Maybe a world class musician?) No this time, I let him pick the level of commitment. I have no college degree, and yes he will have one (No choice for him on this one), but he will be able to pick the school (I hope Cal Tech, my dream school) and pick his own major. We all live a little vicariously through our children, and we all hope they will do better than we did, and make better choices in their lives. I agree that there is a big difference between pushing for ourselves and pushing for them, but as the writer indicated our pasts are big influences on our choices for our children. The best we can do is recognizing it and adjust as best we can. (Note you can probably tell the verbal part of the SAT was my lowest). I only hope that as a parent, I can give my child a good foundation to build upon, to be a good person, with the strength and courage to overcome life’s adversities. I want him to identify himself as he chooses, not with the label of Gifted, HG, or PG.