Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
So this is about private school privilege without tuition. I see.

Have to disagree here. Where I live at least, tuition buys the following:

• A longer school day (varies from school to school, but usually at least 30 minutes)
  • No furlough days because we ran out of money (n=5 this year in the local public schools)
  • No short days on Wednesday when school ends at 1:20 pm or so, because we have to have a meeting and we can't possibly meet at 2:30 without a major contract renegotiation to compensate us for the extra 48.43 minutes our time (every week in most or all of the Bay area)
  • No "minimum days" when school ends at noon (don't know how many in the local district; at least ten per year).
  • Freedom from NCLB-induced test hysteria

I once calculated that because of furloughs and shorter days, public schools around here lose the equivalent of roughly one school day per week compared to private schools. This means that private schools have lots of time for music, art, science, PE, recess, and what I call "random misc," which is random stuff that they do. One year the first grade learned ceramics once a week for 9 weeks; in second grade, it was swimming lessons. Etc.

ETA: This information may look very different in different places. The public school I attended in New Hampshire in the 70s and 80s was a wonderful school, for example. But around here these days, that's just not the case.

As for the OP, well, yuck.

Last edited by Val; 10/22/12 03:01 PM.