That's absolutely bizarre! I have never heard of such a thing! Since when is it okay to penalize a child for being shy? Especially in a society where they are often picked on for being the "smart kid"? Although I think it would be helpful if she actually spoke out in class, I wonder if that is actually the right way to go about it. I remember being so shy in middle and high school, I was shaking and on the verge of tears when I was asked to stand up and introduce myself to the class. The fact is that you can't force a child to be an extrovert. And just because they are introverted does not in any way take away from the fact that they are gifted. Is this even legal? I'm grasping at straws here, but there has to be a case to be made for a child who is obviously bright, but doesn't show off her talents. I wish I had more to offer in the way of advice - all I can say is to check the policy for your state (not just the school - I have seen administrators flat-out lie about it.) Speak to anyone and everyone involved with the program, because it's often surprising who turns out to be a helpful advocate. Keep us posted - I'm curious about how this turns out!