Hello,

I'm in need of help advocating for my DD. She has qualifying test scores for a gifted program. However, she does not raise her hand in class or "show" her giftedness, so I've been told. I've been told repeatedy she must "show" she is a leader and gifted to get into the gifted classes. She is a girl and would prefer to blend rather than "show off." I've been unsuccessful advocating for her with the introvert or social emotional argument. I've tried to tell the teachers and administration that she wants to have friends and she believes the suggested strategy would be off-putting. (Also, she is just an introvert like me and there is nothing wrong with that title!)

What would you do? To me, it appears the gifted program is targeting extroverts, but that is not how they see it. I'm baffled at the "show" part as I would assume the test scores "show" the results for themselves, but I am repeatedly told "no" that is not enough. She has a wonderful teacher but she is not challenged with the work. This is year three of "not being challenged" (for example - math does not ability group at all) so I am starting to become concerned.