Originally Posted by Cricket2
Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by Cricket2
For instance, a kid with two of the above listed traits: high IQ kid & high achievement in most subjects, but who has Asperger's & would, thus, likely be fairly weak in the area of social maturity. I've seen kids like this skipped and they suffered terribly socially.

Would the kid have still suffered socially without the skip?
This isn't my kid, so hard to say, but you're probably correct that this is a kid who is going to have a hard time socially anyway. I bring it up more as a point that, without the accompanying weakness in the social realm, I've seen absolutely no negative social impact to being much younger. My skipped kid is a young 14 y/o 10th grader. Middle school went unbelievably well socially. She was truly happy and had a ton of friends so we certainly didn't see any of the horrible social disaster that the blogger seemed to imply would occur in middle school and beyond.

Agree completely.

My DD is a 13yo 11th grader, and she is happy and has friends from 13yo (several of them gradeskipped 9th graders) to classmates who are typically 16-18yo. Kids are such a range of maturities during adolescence that this really-- no, REALLY-- isn't the big deal that administrators seem to think that it is.

DD often feels as though she doesn't belong anywhere-- but she does just fine by regarding her childhood as a time of tourism... and not living "at home" as it were. Her closest cognitive peers are also her closest friends. I think that this is not coincidence, by any means.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.