You've already gotten lots of great advice - fwiw, I"ll throw another out there that happened to our ds (without us realizing it). Once ds started reading, he was always light-years ahead of grade level so I never paid much attention to testing at school in K-1 because I didn't think it really mattered (his school let the students pick the books they wanted to read once they'd finished going through the prescribed step-groups of beginning readers, and ds had breezed through those with no issues). Anyway, I was picking him up from Kindergarten one afternoon on a day that he'd stayed up until past midnight the night before completely wired. The teacher was so excited to tell me that ds had scored a 23 or something like that on the DRA. I didn't know what the DRA was and didn't really care... but I could tell it must be a good score from what she said and without thinking anything about it, the first thing that slipped out of my mouth was "Really? You mean he was awake enough to take a test the day after he stayed up past midnight?" I wasn't worried about the test, just laughing at the thought that he'd still had enough energy to think clearly. The teacher, otoh, without saying anything else to me, decided to retest since perhaps ds hadn't been up to par... and sure enough, she retested him and his score went way up.

So - just another thing to consider - not everyone has a good test day every time they take a test. Sometimes kids are tired (or not feeling well, or thinking about lunch or whatever). When I get a test result back for one of my kids that doesn't seem to make sense, I try to remember if there was anything else going on that day (no breakfast, no sleep the night before etc) that might have impacted the score.

Best wishes,

polarbear