My son, who is 7.5, is in second grade. The teacher just told us he is at DRA 28, which is the expected score by June. She seemed quite thrilled. However, he's born very early in the year, so he's really scoring about on target, if you consider his date of birth. And, what's more, the score doesn't seem consistent with his reading.

For example, this afternoon, he started reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid. He spent part of the day doing activities, having dinner, playing Wii, doing activities with me, etc. In spite of that, he is well past page 100. I had him read aloud for 20 minutes and he only needed help with the very occasional word. When I asked him questions about the book and what he was reading, he had no problems with comprehension or recall whatsoever. The book is apparently 5th grade level. He also reads Harry Potter (needing help with vocabulary a little more often) and other books.

What could be going on with the DRA? He is shy. But it sees to me like his score is below his actual abilities.

I am a bit skeptical of the test because, last year at this time, he scored a 2 with the same teacher (who I like). I had him re-assessed a month later and he was a 16.

I just don't want them to miss how he is actually reading. When I was in grade 2, I was reading at an 11th grade level. His father was also reading far above grade level. While it is entirely possible that he would not have our reading skills, I don't want my son's academic needs to be overlooked. I'm concerned that the DRA score is low (see last year) and that he won't be pushed to read at his true level.

Could anyone tell me how the DRA works? Is it possible they are testing for something I'm not seeing?

Thanks for wading through this.