We've used ixl.com for the past year and a half or so. DD5 liked it at first, and I liked it because it was something she could do independently. Now, I kinda hate it. It's a chore to get her to work on any of it and she wastes time and pretends she doesn't know how to do the problems. (She'll do the same kind of stuff in a workbook without any trouble.)

I think the biggest issue is you can't adjust the number of problems to give the student. It claims to automatically adapt to the child's proficiency level, but I don't see that it does much of that at all. I'm finding that it just gives her TOO many problems in each concept even when she's getting them all right. I'd like her to get a little sampler of the most challenging problems in each concept but there's not really any way to make it do that.

The nice thing about IXL is you can try any concept at any grade level at any time.

Edited to add: Just posting about this has inspired me to go to IXL right now and play through most of the problems myself... now DD has only the last 10 problems for each concept left in the grade she's working on. Seems like plenty of practice to me, and it'll give her more if she gets one wrong.

Last edited by W'sMama; 10/04/12 04:45 PM.