Originally Posted by thx1138
They let both my kids use it for 2 months. Trial ends this week.
Originally Posted by geofizz
Their deals seem to come and go. I've noted a pattern where they extend the trial period early in the school year.
Aha, that might explain it. I did double-check the parents' free trial option again just before posting. It must be come-and-go with the longer trials, based on a marketing cycle or maybe even changes in usage.

Originally Posted by geofizz
I have not been impressed by any online math instruction. It can work as supplement or as a toy, but not to replace instruction. Instruction happens best in person. Do you have some time each week to site with your kids? You might want to look into getting some Singapore workbooks instead if you feel as though the schools can't or won't educate your kids appropriately.
I agree 100%. I was underwhelmed with ALEKS, though ColinsMum helped to educate me a bit on its features which helped a bit. ALEKS doesn't have enough instruction for my taste, just brief explanations. Something like ALEKS or IXL couldn't suffice as a full curriculum due to the lack of instruction. I also think explicit instruction with a human teacher (who could be online, but obviously not automated) is best for developing math understanding, even in children who can learn quickly and fill in many of the blanks.

EPGY seemed a bit better from what I could see of preview information on their site. Others have posted regarding some disorganization at EPGY and it is more expensive, but maybe worth a look. I'd still prefer a printed curriculum such as Singapore Math.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick