Originally Posted by winston1972
I was chit chatting with her and we get into a conversation about something my child is interested in and she makes the comment that I need to keep my child at grade level and tells me about how he was talking to the other kids about something (reading between the lines--above grade level) that was confusing to the other children.

ARRGH... I'm sorry she said that to you (that is SUCH nonsense). I had a teacher once say to my DD "please don't show that (math problem) to the other children - you'll confuse them" but she never, ever once told me to stifle my DD.

Home schooling can be great. If you're torn and think that public school has benefits that you don't want to give up, remember that your DS has this teacher for only one year and the next one may be better. Meanwhile you can ignore her ridiculous comment and enrich your DS after school.

Meanwhile be very, very careful not to make enemies of the staff. Watch your tone with the assistant principal - be amicable rather than aggressive, which can put him on the defensive. Unless he has a problem with this teacher, he will likely side with her, so tactful in your approach.

Good luck smile

Last edited by CCN; 09/22/12 08:38 AM.