Originally Posted by quaz
One of the worst scenarios is putting them in lessons where it is simply follow the teacher... like many art projects in school. One wants an art instructor that may introduce them to different techniques and art media, but where the project is still theirs in terms of creativity.

Quaz,
I am so glad you mentioned this. The right teacher is so important. When my dd started drawing lessons, the teacher began with traditional drawing techniques. I was surprised when I saw what my dd was producing in class because it was seemed so rough and undeveloped compared to what she drew at home. I brought a few samples to the teacher and she immediately changed her teaching technique. My dd is off the charts visual spatial and draws free hand rather than starting with basic geometric figures. Her teacher works with many gifted students so she is flexible in how she teaches rather than trying to fit all her students into the same mold. That is why I suggested asking other gifted parents for recommendations.