Ugh, just re-read my last post and my terrible typing - I can actually spell and have a pretty good grasp of grammar, just not that day!

Eldertree, your post prompted me to post an update. I did go and see the teacher and she was, well, fantastic. She took dd's new report on board and admitted she had probably been underestimating dd. No defensiveness, just an acknowledgement she could do more and described her plans for doing so. She even took on board the fact that dd has a confidence rather than ability issue with multiplication and vowed to try some other strategies with her. Goodness knows what will happen in practice (how terrible to be so doubtful in spite of this teacher's obvious enthusiasm - but once, or in our case, many times bitten, many times shy!) but I am incredibly relieved.

I explained my concern about social underachieving and she recognised that she thought she had seen some evidence of this given there are some very strong personalities in dd's work group, who are also highly competitive (dd is not). I came away pinching myself. Our experiences in the past have been so awful. I dreamed of coming across a teacher like dd's - if only there was one for every classroom!