Originally Posted by Evemomma
I worry that this trait is particularly difficult for boys.

Yes. sigh. My DH has also helped in this regard because he's loud and also teases both kids (also good natured). Still, DS8 is more sensitive than other boys his age and I'm sad thinking that he'll be bullied and it will cause him pain.

I try and make him feel loved, and that he has a home to return to where he is unconditionally loved.

I also try and teach him (and DD9) to control his emotions. We talk about how it's ok to cry, everyone does, but if you cry too often some people will think you are weak (when you're actually not, but they don't know that). So, learn to control your behavior. Take a deep breath, and calm yourself down. etc etc. He's getting better.

In an effort to teach him skills that will protect him from peer abuse, I'll actually give out a consequence when he doesn't control his emotions. For example, today he wanted to leave the park before his sister and I said let's compromise and leave in ten minutes. He melted down completely. I gave him until the count of five to stop crying or he'd lose his computer for the rest of the day. He got more upset, saying he needed more time to calm down. Boom - no computer. Later on he cried again over losing a coin toss. I reminded him what had happened earlier when he failed to control his emotions, and voila - gone were the tears, instantly. He can stop crying at the drop of a hat when he chooses to.

The trick is how do I motivate him to control his emotions at school in front of his peers, when I'm not around to "manage" him? I was bullied for being a cry baby, and I'm female. I cringe when I think about what he may be up against.