Originally Posted by st pauli girl
We decided to send our son to kindy with agemates and then skip first grade, but we were happy to have the testing and results before school to help with advocacy.

I have read about this option on here, and feel that this may benefit my DS, who is starting K this fall and is much ahead academically compared to his classmates.

He just missed birthday cut-offs, so he will also be one of the older ones this year (which makes him seem even MORE ahead). So if he skipped first grade, he really wouldn't be that much younger next year than the other 2nd graders.

What criterian did you use to determine this route? Have you found there were basics your kiddo missed that were learned in first grade? Would you do it again?

We will be supplementing at home this year no matter what, but if we think we might try to skip 1st grade, then I would like to consider going along with the parallel first grade curriculum this year (have lots of friends with first graders in same school, so would not be hard to do).

...sorry for hijacking.