Hi Lisa,

I don't have a direct link that I can find at the moment, but I think there is an example of how to write this type of letter either online at www.wrightslaw.org or in their "From Emotions to Advocacy" book. I do think it's a good idea - what I usually do is write the letter (brief) and deliver it in person, so I know the teacher has at least seen the piece of paper it's written on, so I have a chance to say what I really really need to say quickly in person (as a minimum) and just to make that first contact with the teacher.

I can't remember for sure what grade your ds is going into (?) but you might want to ask him for some of his thoughts re needs/accommodations/classroom impact of his disability/etc and then include that in your letter.

If it would help, I can dig around to find the letter (this exact type of letter) to give to my ds' teachers last year (going into 6th grade and going to a new school, multiple teachers based on subject). I haven't done the letter yet this year because most of his teachers he'll have already had, except for one of his advisory teachers.... so we will putting together a letter (and soon!)... but I think this year I am going to have more of it be put together by my ds with organizational help and suggestions from me.

polarbear