Originally Posted by st pauli girl
Our kiddo's psychologist said the same thing based on his profile/personality. But even though it's probably true for lots of gifties, I think it's really a kid-by-kid and personality thing re: team sports. My husband and I both love team sports, although we leaned toward the more individual tasks on the teams (DH was a hockey goalie and I was a fast-pitch softball pitcher).

As with all generalizations, this one will have exceptions. My DD7 loves playing soccer, and I enjoyed playing football. DD would seem to fit your "individual tasks" mold, as she has expressed an interest in playing goalie (though it's not available at her age level). But the most individual position on a football field (QB) is the only one I never played with any regularity, organized or otherwise.

Personally, I think extro/introversion has more to do with it than giftedness, because being a teammate is a social experience. DW is very athletic and enjoys sports, but never plays team sports. She's also the only introvert in the family.

Some gifted kids may be extroverts but experience social difficulties for one reason or another, and that can be a turn-off for team sports. On the other end of the spectrum, there are those who seem to fit in everywhere.