Originally Posted by ultramarina
Damn--this really makes me want to get DD a "real" IQ test (she took the RIAS, which does not do memory indices at all). I strongly suspect she would score 99th% on WM. She has a few prodigy-ish traits, as does her brother. Most involve memory. She also has more than one relative with known or suspected ASD.
If its not a money issue I would test both of them. We did WPSSI, SBV and WISC - first 2 for school admissions, last as part of an IEP and for DYS. From the first two when DS was 4.5 and 5 we got some interesting insight, but more really a confirmation that what we think we see is actually there. But the WISC gave us a full in depth real psychological report about the way he approached the test - it was fascinating - it confirmed some of the things from the earlier tests but also explained some interesting patterns. I would say get a tester with good recs for getting gifties, especially girls. You might really gain insights, and it might help devise different ways of reaching with her or handling her frustrations because they might be clearer to you. On the other hand, it's not going to change who she is (so then not necessary) or could either shock you or disappoint you depending on your reaction to the results. I got more from the report than the actual numbers and that's why I recommend doing it. It was useful.

DeHe