I was the one that voted for math subject acceleration as you said you weren't as comfortable with whole grade acceleration.

"I know what you mean. There's nothing on the AOPS pre-Algebra test that DD isn't familiar with, and I suspect she'd get a passing score if I gave it to her, but that's not the same as really being ready for pre-Algebra. "

This statement has me curious. Are you sure you're not underestimating her here?

DD learned algebra through Aleks. When she was 7 and in 3rd grade she finished Aleks Algebra 1. She was able to borrow a neighbor's Algebra text just to make sure she covered what they had learned and took an algebra final. They subject accelerated her into 8th grade honors geometry as a 4th grader this year.

I'm thinking maybe it's a confidence issue? If your dd can take an assessment that says she's ready for pre-algebra then why doubt it?

I always told DD algebra was easy. So she thinks it's easy.

I would subject accelerate first, but make sure it's at the right level. 6th grade could be too easy if she is beyond that and ready for algebra.

Because the subject acceleration went so well this year, they offered dd8 another grade skip. Skipping 5th (because here I think the attitude is that 5th is a filler year and 6th grade is when it gets more interesting).

So for you if the math acceleration goes well, maybe there is a possibility of another grade skip down the road.