Since neither the child nor the parents are unequivocably in favor of a skip, I would not recommend a skip. However, I would definitely accelerate math by one year to 6th grade math. I would hesitate to accelerate to Pre-Algebra based on the info you provided (not intuitively mathy, didn't understand/know how/why to move the decimal points, can't undo a skip/acceleration, etc.). Although I am not in complete agreement with it, I can understand why school systems like mine would not allow an acceleration unless the student tested two years ahead. There also appears to be a cognitive jump from elementary math to Algebra so the concern is that even if she does okay in Pre-Algebra this year that she may have issues next year. On the other hand, Algebra in 6th would not be radical -there is a solid but small chunk of kids taking Algebra as 6th gtaders in our system.

Sorry, this is not much help -- I am musing more than anything as I am trying to figure out the math placement for DS for next year. I don't quite completely trust the assesments online (CTY, Aleks, etc.), which suggests that DS is ready for Algebra.