Hello all...I'm somewhat new to the forum but enjoy and am helped by it so much already! We just completed our DYS application and are awaiting the results. Our DD10 is absolutely consumed with being a doctor/surgeon and has been since she was 3...for the longest time I assumed it would be the first in a long line of interests/career aspirations but she has never even wavered lol smile. She has a 'lab' in the garage in which she will dissect anything she can get her hands on (mostly small animals/birds/reptiles from the neighborhood...for a long time we didn't let her do this because, really, its hard to explain to people that your sweet daughter is slicing into a robin that flew into the window earlier that day! We finally could hold her off no longer) and devours every science/anatomy book she can get her hands on.

Our area has a medical arts magnet school that is quite impressive and nationally recognized as one of the only (if not THE only) ones of its kind for middle school. As part of the enrollment process we completed testing and that is when we realized she was PG. We then tried to decide whether we should have her grade skipped in her private school or continue with the idea of the magnet school because of her interest in the subject matter. We have enrolled her in the magent school for the fall and are all tentatively excited about the upcoming school year.

Have any of you had experiences with a child hanging onto an interest like this? If so, did to continue with it into an actual career choice? Am I doing her a disservice to let her be so involved in one subject area too soon? We are extremely intentional to let her know it's okay to change her mind at any point about 'what she wants to
be', etc, but am concerned about the line between being supportive of what she loves and not making her feel that this is what I EXPECT from her. Any thought would be appreciated!