Hi master of,

My son has also internalized the messages of being told he could just try harder and pay attention, etc. I agree that having a diagnosis will help. I hope both of our sons work through this - it's very hard on their self esteem to constantly be told they aren't measuring up, and my son has also received zero credit this year for assignments that he's worked on diligently. I can't believe that he gets back up over and over again and keeps trying although very very discouraged, misunderstood, and hurt.

Yes, love your viewpoint and step by step method to walk him through this and can relate to him thinking that accommodations are "cheating." Prior to this year, he refused to be on 504 because he wanted to do it like everyone else. He finally relented last fall but it was poorly administered. I like the thoughts of helping him change his picture of himself, and since he is high in verbal, I'm sure we can have have some very good conversations about it. I sense some relief from him over the past few weeks since he started processing through it.

...will think long and hard about the IEP and talk to the Dr again who recommended it. He felt that 504 wasn't going to provide enough support, but I will get more specific info from him.

See my reply to Becky about the Dr explaining to him that he's a Lamborghini/Fiat, or the "village" wise man - a very long thinker but comes up with answers that are accurate and unique. LOL, this helped a lot.

Thank you, thank you for taking the time to reply - Your insights are helpful and I appreciate it very much. I hope your son does well too (and you!).