Originally Posted by gratified3
As I understand it, the portfolio method is for applying when a kid has only one score -- either IQ or achievement -- and there are other reasons not to pursue the missing score, either financial difficulty, or age, or ??? I'm not sure I remember this fully, but I believe the application requests submissions of all scores obtained, which would make it hard to apply by portfolio while having IQ and AT scores. I suspect, and I know others may disagree, that the DYS considers their standards to be minimum so I doubt a portfolio and scores that don't qualify would work. There's nothing to be lost in trying, certainly, except that the application is long. (And if I'm wrong, someone please tell me -- cause I have a kid who has ceiling AT scores and a sooo close FSIQ that I'd love to get into DYS!)

Gratified is right. You are asked to submit all the scores and it's highly unlikely they would accept him if his IQ score was lower than what they require, especially since his scores are not close to the cut off. I may be wrong, but I think even if you get accepted by portfolio these days you are required to get the additional qualifying test scores within next 6 months.

You can try to apply, but I think his chances are slim. Lately there have been a few cases where the child did have both qualifying scores, but Davidson asked for additional information/portfolio.

LMom