My family has been involved in the YS program for just over five years. I don't mean to sound like a Davidson cheerleader, but they have really been tremendously helpful to so many people in so many ways. I'll try to outline what they offer:

1. We've received personalized attention from our family consultant. It's been great to have someone out there who is an advocate who actually knows our children. Our current consultant is relatively new and so far we have only exchanged a few calls and emails, but I believe that if we had a crisis involving the YSs, he'd be there for us.

2. We have access to world class experts through the parent and YS online seminars. Families can also arrange for private consultation with some of these folks.

3. The kids can connect with true peers. You don't know how much this can mean to them until you see it for yourself.

4. The parents can connect with true peers too! I have learned so much on the listserves and through talking to different parents. I've met many wonderful people through our involvement.

5. The financial aid can be very helpful. DYS helped us pay for chess camp one year, and they assisted with oldest son's college tuition before he turned 18.

6. IT"S ALL FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What else do you get for free these days?

I will add that I was negatively impressed by people who described DYS as "cultish" and the fact that the program used to be more structured and require detailed plans for YS progress. I did not apply as soon as I might have. I wish I had just gone ahead with application when I first heard about it. You can always drop out if you don't find it to your liking, but very few families have left since the program's inception.

hth-