I'm starting a new thread rather than totally hijack another. I have claimed here that I suspect more of us than not define gifted with high IQ/high intelligence/high ability being a requisite. As the parent of one 2e kid, I have some flexibility in my thinking on that especially when dealing with wild variation w/in scores that drag down the total #. However, I define gifted something like Mensa defines a member: an intelligence score around the 98th percentile or so.

It seems that those in the field of gifted education/advocacy use a lot of different definitions though and Jim Delisle is one of the few in that field who I've seen advocating a more narrow definition. See here for instance.

Being a bit of a sucker for quantifiable information, I have a hard time using things like behavioral rating scales as well, I'll admit. So, what is an absolute necessity, if anything, in order to call someone gifted to you all?

Disclaimer: I really am not trying to be elitist or rude here and apologize if this comes across as such.