Well, despite my earlier novel, I still forgot something.

Although we did not have any kind of dyslexia screen (that I know of), I'm quite certain that my DD would have exceeded whatever bar they set in such a screen. In third grade, even accelerated she was clearly in the top 5%. Her reading assessments were comfortably 2+ grades above grade level, and this was with a full grade acceleration. Pretty much every year, the teachers have thought she was doing fine, until I pointed out details and specific instances that just didn't fit an HG+ kid and once they knew what to look for, the evidence mounted. Without fail, by the end of the school year they all agreed that something was off, but none could put their finger on it.

Again, I don't remember the specific test, but the psych specifically pointed out that on the particular criteria that are frequently used to ID dyslexia my DD scored around the 10th percentile. This is a kid who is 99%+ pretty much across the board. The pysch was not even interested in labeling it stealth dyslexia - she clearly indicated this was textbook, classic dyslexia.

I can pretty much promise you no one in the school system would have noticed. I didn't even bother asking them to test her - I firmly believe that it would have been a complete waste of all our time. I'm fortunate enough to be in the position to have her tested privately and did. I will say that I am still not comfortable that we have all the answers we need, but I'm not quite ready to shell out the bucks for a full neuropsych workup when I think we are close enough to make things work. I reserve the right to change my mind in a year or so.

Prissy