Mom of 1, I did not mean to offend you or make any implications about your son or about anyone else. I simply said that I inferred that many or most of the kids who need remediation probably need it because they're not as smart as many of the kids who don't. Given the lockstep pacing of schools today, this was a reasonable conclusion.

I didn't say anything about race in that regard and wasn't even thinking about it. Given that I have no idea about the makeup of the remedial classes, it would silly to make that assumption anyway.

Unfortunately, even suggesting that differences in achievement in school may be due to differences in ability is often taken out of context as making some kind of racial slur.

For the record, I think that it's possible that poor pre- and post-natal care as well a nutrient-poor diet can lower intelligence and that feeding poor children properly and ensuring that they have access to medical care are critical to helping them achieve more (I didn't say anything about race here). This is why I keep harping on improving the quality of school lunches.