Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by mom of 1
Where is the assumption that the new admission requirements are leading to students who are less smart?

I inferred it from the high rate of remediation.

Relatively low intelligence is an elephant in the room in US education.

Did you read any of the links I posted? My reading of all of them is that this is not about letting in unintelligent students in the name of diversity. And, i take tremendous, personal offense (as the mother of an African American male who has tested as profoundly gifted) that the presence of under-served minority students in gifted programs can only be achieved by lower the requirements to let in stupid children. Believe me when i tell you, we've already heard it about our child--who is only just finishing up kindergarten--from upper middle class white parents who don't understand why he is getting services their children aren't receiving.

Honestly, some of the opinions of people on this forum are the reason we have not yet applied for DYS, even though we are sitting on test scores that would qualify him.

While I agree that there are significant differences in intelligence between students, I wholeheartedly disagree that the reasons for racial differences in achievement are due to innate differences in intelligence.