Callie, I agree that private scores can help you out here. When my son (just turned 10) finally had his Explore and then WISC scores this past year, the district, principal and several teachers got involved in helping create appropriate curriculum. We were able to set up a meeting within a couple of weeks, plus get them started on the IAS to approve a skip. The district told us skips are extremely rare, but that they approved it for him, even though he was already working more than a year ahead in a highly gifted classroom. We haven't actually experienced any of the new accommodations yet, as this just happened at the end of this school year, but the situation is on everyone's radar now and I think they all want to make things work.

This is the cynic in me, but I think they know he'll ultimately make the district look good if they can accommodate him correctly, so they're working with us.

The other thing private testing gave us was the confidence to assertively advocate for him. Everyone knew my son was exceptional to begin with, but once they saw his scores, they knew he needed something different in school.