Originally Posted by rachsr
Originally Posted by Cricket2
Those look like comfortably MG scores to me with the two outliers being the 8 and the 18. Two scores that fall outside the range of typical aren't major cause for concern, though.
great I hope that is all it is :-)
Take my opinion with a grain of salt, though, in that my kids' scores within tests like PRI and VCI looked more like 8, 19, 17 so I've got a bit of skewed concept of what looks "okay" wink. None the less, the last psych we saw re dd11 had some expertise in gifted kids and felt that "typical" MG scores tended to cluster around 13-14 for the most part with a few outliers being "normal."
Originally Posted by rachsr
Originally Posted by Cricket2
Speed doesn't appear to have impacted him on block design terribly either although I would leave room for the assumption that the block design test is a bit of a low ball for him.
Would you mind explaining the last bit?
Sure. Block design is the one timed test on the PRI index. You get bonus points for completing the designs quickly. If he has motor issues such as dysgraphia, it could have impacted how quickly he put the blocks together so it could be a low ball estimate.

I'd look at it one of two ways:

Either the 14 on block design is about accurate for him and, again, indicative of a MG child. It lines up with the 15 in the PRI index and close enough to the 13s in the VCI.

-Or-

The 15 was the outlier of a low score on PRI and the 14 on block design is inaccurately low due to fine motor skill issues and should actually have been closer to that 18.

FWIW, my one dd with slower processing speed had an 8 on block design and something like an 8 and a 10 or two 9s or something around there on the PSI index. Her other two PRI scores were, if I recall correctly, 17 and a 19 that would have gone up to around a 23 with extended norms. That made it evident that the block design clearly didn't fall in line with her other PRI scores (or her VCI scores for that matter) and was definitely impacted by something related to speed.

In your ds' instance, it could go either way.