Hello, I need advice on how to proceed. Our DD7 was early entranced at 4 and is currently in a program for HG kids. We were planning on having our DS5 start K next fall. DS was screened for early entrance last spring and it was determined that he did not have the maturity at that time to start early. Now he is 5 and ready for school. After he met his teacher and we talked with the gifted coordinator, they have said they think his needs will not be met at school and I should put him in a different setting. I have thoroughly investigated the options available to us and our family actually moved to the area we are in now because there was more available for our kids in this school district along with other reasons.

It is hard for me to believe that he would not be okay at school for two years until he can go to the HG program that DD is in. We are fairly young parents and both have to work full time. My husband is also in school working on his masters. We have three kids very close in age. I need the school to take him and make things work. I am unsure what to do now. The Montessori school they suggested is not a big fan of technology and computers are his life line. Where ever he goes he has to have access to a computer or laptop. I really do not want to home school him and even if I did he would just be that much farther ahead the following year which would make this harder and his intensity will likely be the same regardless of his age. I am trying to set up a meeting with the gifted coordinator to find out what our options are if we decide to send him to this school anyway.

My husband and I were discussing it and we think it might be better to put him in 1st grade instead. He would be able to practice writing which is still an emerging skill that he will need for the HG program. Although he reads independently a lot he still likes to listen to stories too. We could bring in math stuff and a laptop for him. If he had a computer he could learn on his own part of the time and would be less intense during the day. I could pick him up mid-day and try homeschooling him in the afternoon if they wanted.

He tends to do better with older children too and although he would be much smaller because of his personality we do not think that would be an issue for him. He is in Karate with older children of all ages and does fine. He is not easily intimidated by bigger children or adults and has no problem talking to adults or much older children. He is very self-confident and extremely outgoing. I think in a first grade class room he would do fine half of the day. Being with older children would be more engaging for him socially as he generally seeks out children that are older. Both of our kids are unusually self-assured, confident, and emotionally mature. DD7 had no problem being younger and even now is one of the younger kids in the HG program.I am hoping the school will work with us to get him in the right place. The HG program is the best fit we have found for our kids and we just have to get him through until 2nd grade. I realize that nothing is going to be perfect.

Also I am wondering if he starts in 1st grade at 5 if he would be eligible to go to the HG program at 6 for second grade or if they would say he is too young. My argument would be that DD7 was 6 when she started. DD5 would be three month younger than she was but he is on par with her and also stronger in math.Any advice would be welcomed as I am getting ready to go talk to the school. I was really expecting them to figure out what to do with him as things have worked out pretty well so far with DD.

I do value the coordinator and early entrance people’s opinions. I am just starting to realize how far out of the norm our kids are. I want to find a solution that works for everyone and puts DD5 in a good place where he will be happy.