This conversation reminds me of a child DD and I encountered at a playgym (think Gymboree type of place) when she was very young. DD was less than 2 and he was an older child - couldn't have been more than 3- 4 at the absolute oldest. At first he seemed like a very pleasant child, kind to the younger kids, etc. Then suddenly he would change. He looked like a different kid completely. His mother would remove him from the play area and he would hit and kick her viciously. This was not the way a normal 3 year old would lash out in a tantrum. There was something very mature and deliberate in the attack. When she would give up fighting him he would happily go back into the play area as if nothing had ever happened. I remember looking at the mother and realizing that she was terrified of her own child. She was desperate to stay at the gym as long as possible - anything to avoid being home alone with him.

I have thought about this mother and son a few times over the years. This thread makes my heart sink at the idea of what he must be like now that he is older.