I'm not sure what I'd do in this particular situation because there's a lot I don't personally know about the situation - but re your original question, is handwriting an inappropriate consequence for a student with dysgraphia, imo, yes.

This is what I would consider doing - but again, there's a lot I don't know about what's happened prior to this incident or what your intentions are re next year: if your dd has a 504 plan in place (or an IEP) that states her handwriting accommodations, I would send an email to the teacher and the 504 (or IEP) team stating what happened, quoting the accommodations as listed for handwriting and voicing my concerns that the consequence was inappropriate and possibly in violation of the 504/IEP. If your dd has already done the handwriting, and if she mentioned any complaints about fatigue, hand hurting etc, I'd mention it in the email. You could also mention that there is a cumulative impact on kids with dysgraphia as the school day passes - if they have to write in the morning, for instance, they may be able to rally and get through that assignment ok, but will be fatigued (mentally and physically) later in the school day when they need to be fully engaged to do other classroom work or pay attention to a lesson.

My gut feeling here is that the larger issue is understanding what's really up at school. Is your dd telling the truth, are the issues your dd has had with her teacher all about the teacher or is there more to it that you need to understand before next year happens, etc.

polarbear