Originally Posted by kcab
What about doing his homework and Alcumus problems (if assigned for his course) during school hours? The classes, at least the ones I've looked at, are once a week. That part would have to be out of school, unless they added a homeschool-friendly time.
I guess the class is only once a week...I wonder if that is a possibility. Is there enough homework and work during the week to keep him occupied for about an hour a day at school with math though? I guess if not the rest could be filled in with Khan academy or something else.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
I've read that the CTY elementary school math curriculum is the same as that of EPGY, which is available for $135 for 10 months through open enrollment http://epgy.stanford.edu/school/openenroll/info .
Thanks, we did EPGY with him a couple years ago and it worked well...except the computer at school was too slow and with open enrollment there is not help and a few times he wanted guidance and no one could help him. I may look into it again though because he did seem to like it.

Originally Posted by Peter
Check out Khan Academy. It's free and it has plenty of video lectures and your DS can do it at his own pace.
He does like Khan academy and they let him do that some at school...but right now they let him do that in addition to the 5th grade curriculum. Next year I am recommending him doing a computer program in place of a curriculum since 6th grade math is in another building entirely. So I don't think they would allow Khan academy to replace a curriculum.