Well, that's a tough question. First, I'll say there's absolutely nothing for gifted kids or options for grade skipping/acceleration in the public schools in my state/area.

We've had mixed results with the gifted schools - which are mainly aimed at mg/hg kids from my experience. Last year, my son lasted 2 1/2 months at a traditional gifted school; he completed the pre-k/k/1st grade curriculum in that time. The school then refused to accelerate him to 2/3rd grade or accommodate the eg/pg part. My son was starting to multiply and the school basically threw up their arms. I then put him in a creative gifted school last March and this year. I'm hoping he can hold out until the end of the year, but it's been a struggle to say the least.

The creative gifted school has been better in some ways. The school has a total of 30 students from pre-k to 8th grade and three teachers. So it's a mixed-aged setting and he's been able to read at 4/5th grade level but been frustrated by the math and held back in addition until he completely masters it with www.xtramath (timed math facts). He's been frustrated that there's not another eg/pg kid like him there or someone he can click with. He's also been frustrated by some of the arty/crafty, which can go overboard, and with some of the rules and teachers, which can be a bit inflexible.

Next year, I'm planning to homeschool/unschool - by default. We've tried the public and private schools to no avail.

With schools, I think it all depends on the child, school, teachers, curriculum/content, other students, etc. I've heard some teachers are very flexible and accommodating. Others less so. Some curriculums or instructional methods (i.e. structure or phonics for reading) work better than others for certain kids. For my son, he needs some structure but not too much.

The vast majority of schools expect the child to fit to the curricula and not the curricula to the child. Yes, you'll find people here on this forum say that they've been able to grade skip with a public or private school or found got accommodations met, but I don't think this is the norm or even an option in some towns/cities or states where giftedness is not mandated.

Keep in mind, it's really hard to know how your child will react or respond until your child is presented and/or exposed. Then, you've got the issue of the other children in the classroom/school. That's potentially a big can of worms with a eg/pg kids. At the traditional gifted school, my son stood out like a sore thumb in the class. At the creative school, he's stood out less so and he's been able to mix with older kids, but it's still not providing what he needs either academically or social/emotionally.

I think with eg/pg kids, like my son, they can suddenly make great leaps or gulps in learning, which can be a challenge for schools. I don't think most teachers know how to deal with a eg/pg kid or their rapid acceleration or insatiable quest for information/learning.