Take heart with a divergent thinker. They're so against the status quo and resist it at every opportunity - and some openly. Eliipses - love your daughter's response to "The Giver." At least she got a good grade, as you say.

I agree that you've got to develop the nonconformity/divergent thinking at home. The vast majority of schools do not tolerate it, even gifted ones. I think art schools are probably more receptive than the norm, but unfortunately these types of schools don't exist until high school or college. Until then, you either muddle through the public or private schools or end up homeschooling/unschooling as a default.

Wonder how someone like Picasso made it through the early grades? Dahl, I know from his biography, really struggled at Repton (English boarding school) and performed somewhat poorly. Dav Pilkey (Capt Underpants author) struggled in school as well. Of course, both Dahl and Pilkey used their experiences with the schools in their writings and drew strength (out of a bad situation) from it.

To me, it seems the kids who are divergent or creative seem to fall by the wayside, especially in the early grades and whether they're gifted or not. Some gifted schools may be more receptive, but there's still levels of conformity and expectations. With a eg/pg child, the outlandish creativity and divergent thinking may be more pronounced -- ie. what planet did they come from? -- so it becomes rather challenging in a formal school setting (and on a daily basis). It really depends on the school, teachers, other students, atmosphere, curriculum, pace, etc. and how they child can still be true to themselves without being swallowed by the sheep, dare I say.

This is one of the reasons why people are homeschool/unschooling. I've come across parents in my area with typically developing children who feared the public schools would quash the creative side and any passions/interests that their child/ren held.