Originally Posted by Val
At the same time, bias in expectations is everywhere, and it can be harmful. The uber-girlie Lego kits I linked to are a good example. They're simplistic, as opposed to complex kits aimed at boys. Is this because girls can't do "hard" kits? I don't know. But if you don't believe me, just click through the Lego Friends kits on Amazon or some other site and look at them. They feature basic designs, and everyone is nice and happy and smiling and not challenging the status quo (again, compare to sets for boys). This is only one of countless examples. My DD7, who figured out how to divide in her head when she was three, told me that she's not good at math because it's not for girls. She certainly didn't hear from anyone in her family.

You may think girls' Legos are too girlie, but they will sell well only if many girls like them. If they sell poorly, they will be discontinued. That is how the free market discourages "bias", properly defined as *incorrect* beliefs about the sexes. Some activists in the government, which is not subject to market discipline, want different groups make the same choices about what to study or what careers to pursue, and they are willing to discriminate to achieve their aims. This is economically inefficient and morally wrong.