Originally Posted by ABQMom
Originally Posted by DAD22
I can't say I support the message that the brothers of the girls partaking of the program will be receiving.

What message will the brothers be receiving?

The message is that from the perspective of the people implementing the program, a boy's interest in this area is so common that it doesn't hold as much value as the interest of a girl, and isn't worthy of patronage, regardless of level-of-interest or aptitude.

Have any of you put yourself in the shoes of a boy who shares a love of space with his sister of similar age? Sure, the program will begrudgingly accept him, but the intent to exclude boys is clear. Why should he be made to feel unwelcome in pursuing his interests? Isn't that exactly the type of feeling that the program advocates want to alleviate, except they apparently only want to alleviate that feeling for girls?

I am an engineer who grew up as a talented math student, and I am somewhat accustomed to the double standard. There was always extra excitement surrounding a girl who was good at math (and awards for best performing girl at public school math competitions... sorry to the dozens of guys who outscored her, you're the wrong sex). Now I am involved in recruitment and hiring, and the excitement carries on. Engineering firms compete to bring in female engineers in a way that they don't compete for males. Maybe this is a complete reversal from decades past. If so, I think we should damp the oscillation instead of driving it.

I don't advocate sexual discrimination, but I do recognize it as a right for private clubs. I didn't see information on the website about funding for NASA G.I.R.L.S. and I'm not going to look into whether or not a legal case could be made against it. I will simply say that I'm against it, and should the time come, I don't look forward to making the decision about whether or not to let my daughter partake in something she would love that isn't open to her brother, who may love it equally. Seeing as how I'm an engineer, my children wont be lacking STEM mentorship either way.

I will take it upon myself to make sure that my daughter never feels that STEM topics are inappropriate for her, while advocating for every facet of her education, math and science included.

Last edited by DAD22; 05/02/12 01:27 PM. Reason: clarity