My experience meshes with Colin'sMum's theory, in that it just took my DS8 longer to get the writing piece closer to what's in his head. Writing is still a pain point for him, but he is within the developmental range. My DS refused to learn to write until he was 5 and in kindergarten, and then he skipped 1st brade, a big writing year, so a lot of it is just that he hasn't had a whole lot of practice. A lot of people here have had success with Handwriting Without Tears.

I can't speak to whether there are Issues an OT can help with, but an evaluation can't hurt, and even if there's no diagnosis, an OT may have useful exercises. Luckily, when our DS entered 2nd grade, his teachers didn't make a big deal about the writing, letting him give answers orally sometimes. He seems to be doing OK now in third. Also they've been learning cursive, which he seems to have fewer issues with (I suspect because there is less lifting the pencil off the page).

I would advocate hard at the school to keep your kiddo in the advanced section, with or without an IEP. You could offer to work on writing over the summer, if you think that will help.

ETA: my kiddo did the upper lower case thing too, and the reversal's. Seems ti have gotten better this year (age 8).

Last edited by st pauli girl; 04/29/12 08:38 AM.