Originally Posted by master of none
The teachers have no right to be frustrated with your DS. It's not your fault if they choose that reaction. Their job is to help him learn, not to become frustrated by a behavior that is not willful and is not an affront to them. They more pressure there is, the more he feels your and their frustration, the worse he will feel and the more mistakes he'll make. Success builds on success. Accept that's who he is and help him cope with who he is. Then it won't be so frustrating.

You are right. The higher the stress, the worse he's done.

Originally Posted by master of none
The teachers threaten the kids with zeros and DS doesn't want to be without anything. THAT SHOWS HOW MUCH THESE KIDS ARE TRYING!

I actually stole your quote and used it in the emails I sent out this morning. I think they need to be clear about the pressure and stress level they are creating - and that it is counter-productive.

Originally Posted by DeeDee
ABQ, does the IEP include any direct instruction in organizational skills, or only accommodations?

No - and I've asked whether it is possible to have him meet with someone before and at the end of school to help him develop these skills and was told that no such resource exists.

aculady - thanks for the titles; I will find them and start reading them. It is so clear that it is not something he can "just pay attention" and do better.

epoh - he actually does have accommodations in his IEP to email assignments, have the teacher sign his agenda, but he doesn't have the return to his locker accommodation. I'll ask about that. It might lower his fear - and the load on his back. The assignments that end up being a problem are the ones he does in class or that are a worksheet that can't be emailed or projects that can't be emailed. Those are the ones that get lost or done incorrectly.