This is my first post but I came on here for the same reason as you did. Our 6 year old (kindergarten) daughter was just assessed and is in the "Profoundly Gifted"range --we were also very shocked in some ways. We are working with her private school to come up with a plan. I am also applying for Davidson. I just read "Genius Denied" (which I highly recommend) and although I feel like I finally "get it", the more I know about this the more terrified I am of trying to get her what I need. I don't feel like I could homeschool her effectively. She is already in the process of a grade skip but is bored with some of the material if not all in the grade ahead of her. I just want to know that she is going to be ok. Why is this such an uphill battle with schools and educators? She clearly is highly capable.

I can't give advice, but I can let you know that I am right there with you. I don't feel like there are any parents going through what I am going through right now. 3 months ago I didn't know "Gifted" existed. Now I am scared to talk about my daughter with other parents because our situation is so different than anyone else. So this message board seems like a good place for moms in our situation....

Great idea to post here - missing the local 'mom talk' is no small thing.

One more thing to gain perspective on is this: If a school setting works for 6 months, that is a major victory. One must stay flexible and be ready to tweak. For example, a gradeskip might be a great first step, but then a PG child might well need an additional subject acceleration in a subject or two, and then perhaps that might lead to another full skip. I know it's not a race to the finish, but in some ways it is a race to try to get her into classroom setting when she is 'unknowledgable' enough to get something out of them.

If you are stressing out between options, try looking for the 'least worst option.' see

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/least-worst.htm

And Welcome!
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com