MidwestDad, I'd be very interested to hear how you achieve differentiation for your DS based on his EXPLORE scores. I thought about sending copies of my DS's scores to school, but doubt anything would happen aside from his teachers saying, "Good job!" I'll probably send the scores for that purpose, but differentiation would not happen

I'm not "Midwest Dad," but I wanted to say that we successfully used the EXPLORE scores for my ds11 to advocate for differentiation when he was in 4th grade (now in 6th) and were pretty successful. He was already in gifted (as is our just-turned-10 ds), but we felt he still needed more.

Part of our success may be that our district uses the EXPLORE in 8th (as well as 6th/7th, but they don't send scores to parents in 6th/7th). So, I think it helped that we had a lot of data - how does he compare to the average 6th grader in the MS gifted, for example (although they don't send scores, the district provided them when asked).

For us, it has always worked best when we jump the ladder immediately, and so far, it hasn't upset anyone at the school. When we call the gifted coordinator, the curriculum coordinator, etc... at the district level, and say, "can we meet with you regarding this?" I've found that they usually have a rather utopian view of what can/should/is being done at the schools. They're much more likely to agree to differentiating (and/or assume it's already happening) because they don't actually have to implement it.
I always meet with my sons' teaching team in April or May to discuss the upcoming year, and specifically talk about what accommodations may be made. Sometimes it's little things: a different "extra" accelerated spelling list, alternate projects in social studies, or his own reading group. Sometimes it's bigger things - like 2-grade acceleration for math.

I've found that going higher up (and then requesting that that person attend a meeting with principal and teacher) and quoting back all the lovely idealistic things they say on their website and in their manuals (which generally tout a very individualized approach) help. Sometimes I feel bad because I'm sure that there are other kids who could do what my ds is doing, but my main concern is that he is growing academically. I try to pick specfic things in each subject that are relatively low-cost and easy to implement.
Most schools respond well to achievement testing, but they respond even better to specific comparisons with their own students. (Our district generally imagines all its students are super achieveers, which of course, isn't true). If you can show that your ds is doing work comparable to the best students in your district two or three grades ahead, I think they're a lot more likely to listen.
Good luck smile