Originally Posted by syoblrig
I don't think it's appropriate for my 9 year olds. It's not that my boys aren't voracious readers, or that they're not capable of understanding the concepts in the book or that they're not highly gifted, too. It's that they're only 9.

I just am finishing the series and my son read them at late 10/early 11. My 7 year old could pick them up and read them and is reading Harry Potter. But I think HG would not be ok for her for at least a few years just because of the sensitive nature of the topic. It's also lead to many great discussions with my 11 year old that wouldn't have worked a couple years ago.

Anyway, I can understand why a parent might not want their children exposed to that series or movie yet. My DS and I are going to see the movie ASAP. We are really excited! No way on the 7 year old. My son could have handled it sooner than my daughter because he's just less sensitive about this kind of thing. So I get that some kids will be fine with it when others aren't. And that some parents will just take their very young kids to the movie without reading it. crazy

My oldest has come back to series over and over and gets new things each time. I think he's read the Harry Potter series 3 or 4 times now.

FTR - I'd prefer my child didn't get bible at school either. We homeschool (secularly) for many reasons.