Crisc & Cricket- I do understand I just find it really hypocritical with all the violent games I see the kids playing. I also know of a lot of other conversations that I hear about on the play ground, especially the ones with older siblings that are "inappropriate" or what about the music that I hear that kids grab on to the words so quickly?
I am also more aware because I finished Genius Denied on Sunday and well....I have really been resigned to the fact that the public school provides a basic education period. The book has my mind reeling over what should be possible and what the heck should I do with my son.....how do I find kids like him that can handle the conversations that go with a book like that? He should not have to be stifled in his education environment-where is a place where he can be a 9 year old boy but have deep intellectual conversations too. Where he can speak and ask the tough questions and be free to explore. Where he has more to do than read all day long because he finishes the work so quickly and he has no interest in doing more of the same level work- the other option. He tested at the high school level for Science and when I challenged the school on what they are going to do with it they suggest he is not interested in doing additional science work because he can work ahead in his 3rd grade science book and he chooses not to...I said why would he want to- it is not going to teach him anything!!! Originally I have left the school off the hook really in regards to how to accelerate any subject and meet his needs academically- just never saw any glimmer of hope to getting more than the basic GT program.. I always resigned myself it was all up to me to figure out how to challenge him. The book light a fire under me to reach for the stars for him!

This really is a wake up call for me- get off my butt and do something different for him because Hunger Games is really just the tip of the iceberg in regards to how different he is from his peers.