I realize there are other EXPLORE & DYS threads going, but didn’t want to “hijack” w/a question about my DS2, 12 yrs, Nov 1999 B-day. Still fairly green at this and I have a few questions for the amazing experts on this board. Sorry, in advance, for long post!

DS2 took EXPLORE in Feb 2012 for Duke TIP (6th grade) and his results are as follows:
English 25
Math 22
Reading 25
Science 22
Composite 24

He ran out of time on Math & Science, so he marked the last few questions with “B” or whatever in the last seconds of test. He completed English & Reading. I know very little about DYS, but believe these scores would make him eligible? However, he would still need a WISC IV score in the required range or a portfolio. “Portfolio” is a word that scares me, so I’d rather not go down that path! However, his school-administered WISC IV (given 5/2010 @ 10 years/6 mos) is below the cut-off, though I believe VCI was “just” one point below. Here are the scores:

VCI 144/99.8
PRI 117/87
GAI 134/99

I also have subtest scores, if needed.

Other parts of WISC were not administered by school psych. Test was given over a few days or weeks – DS was pulled from class at random times. Psych was actually a lovely person and DS reacted well to her, but not sure she had too much experience w/GT kids. Additionally, based on a previous post of mine, experts on this board have indicated that DS’s GAI would be 136, not 134. So I’ve always wondered about having DS retested, simply because the testing process seemed rather haphazard to me (for numerous reasons). Additionally, DS had lots of issues going on at school (now resolved) and we had a serious health issue at home (now resolved and we are so grateful for that!).

So here are my questions:
1) Would you retest WISC under these conditions, understanding that finances are tight in our household but we would do whatever is best for DS? If DYS is very good to have as a resource for students & parents, then we would pay for retest – but obviously DS might still miss the cutoff. At least we would have a comprehensive report and I’m sure that could be valuable for other things, too.

2) Since DS will be 12.5 years in May, would he really benefit much from a program like DYS or is it designed more for younger children who have years to go in the school system?

3)What general advice do you have, if any? Always open to advice!

And, as background, our Midwestern school system GT program is “OK” but nothing special and it’s not like having DYS advocacy is going to get DS anything “more” than he’s already getting (or not getting). There has been a threat to raise GT threshold to 135, but I’ve heard that kids already in program will be Grandfathered-in, so I’m not too worried about DS staying in GT.

Thanks for your thoughts on this & for reading my long post. I do appreciate it.