With my son, I have only noticed the positive benefits that were mentioned. He didn't have behavior problems, he did not seem addicted to the games except possibly the first day or two after he gets a really good game. He goes through games quickly and since we use Gamefly he can afford to do this. I think playing lots of different kinds of games is good for the brain. He often tells me about things he learned (history, geography, culture, kinds of things) through video games he played. I think it might even help him make decisions on online multiple choice tests. When I watch him take online tests I notice he can read faster and get the answer before I have finished reading all the choices. He flies through online multiple choice questions as if he is playing a game and he will get a higher score if he finishes fast, even though there is no bonus for finishing quickly. I think tests are something he sees as a game. I think he gamifies things as much as he can.

When he wakes up in the morning, instead of wanting to play games, before he even gets out of bed, he reads the news on his iPhone and then reads things that are humorous that he shares with me and his adult sister. He always has interesting things to talk about and he still laughs and makes jokes.

He would rather go out and do things but unfortunately he can't because of where we live and because he has to wear a brace that limits his activities.