ABQMom: In my case, self-regulation was a necessity, because rather than college I was enlisted in the Navy. If I abused video games to the point where my test scores were below 75%, I'd have been kicked out of school and sent to the fleet to chip and paint. So there's probably not a lot for you to learn there that can be applied to your son.

After my enlistment I had a girlfriend move in, she raised a stink about how much time I spent playing games, and it became something where I'd better learn how to regulate it or I wouldn't have the girlfriend anymore. Again... not a lot to learn there.

Except, I suppose, that the key to learning self-regulation in both cases is to find other things you care about enough to set aside the games when necessary. I've said elsewhere that my DD7 doesn't abuse video games, playing less than an hour when she does sit down to them, and that's primarily because, given the choice, she'd much rather go play with her toys. So there's that theme again.

One thing that doesn't help is that these games can be very hard to put down because the next goal is always so tantalizingly close, which lends itself to an unending string of excuses... "let me just beat this bad guy first... let me just visit this shop real quick... let me just see what this next mission is..."

And the solution to that is to regiment it a bit. For example, your DS could come to his dorm and reward himself for surviving another day of classes with an hour of game play... ONLY an hour, and stick to it. Then it's time to hit the books, do the laundry, pick up some grub, etc. If he finishes with everything early... REWARD! More playing time.

Hope any of this helps.