Originally Posted by Dude
Except, I suppose, that the key to learning self-regulation in both cases is to find other things you care about enough to set aside the games when necessary. I've said elsewhere that my DD7 doesn't abuse video games, playing less than an hour when she does sit down to them, and that's primarily because, given the choice, she'd much rather go play with her toys. So there's that theme again.

As an additional note, I didn't actually care about college or really want to be in college.

I honestly had no idea what to go do with myself once I got there, I just knew that I had to go there and I had collected enough scholarships to generate a financial profit my first year.

It didn't help that I had absolutely no interest in engineering, which is what my parents decided I should pursue for scholarship purposes. So, I spent five years studying something I actually didn't care about and had no interest in doing as a career. But, it was free and I was expected to be there.

I was bullied there, too, which didn't help anything, but made the entire experience feel more like being in prison. I was really too emotionally immature to be there. That was certainly part of my issue.

So, I agree that it's important to find something you care about more than computer games.