Originally Posted by DAD22
Originally Posted by La Texican
I guess I'm not very clear in the difference between "what 'is' is.". What is the difference between IQ and the understanding of knowledge?  I thought IQ was the capacity to understand.

It would take less time to teach algebra to an average 12 year old who already knows multiplication, division, and fractions than it would take to teach algebra to a gifted 2 year old, right?

The average 12 year old is better primed to gain that understanding, even though their rate of learning is much lower than that of the gifted 2 year old, and the gifted 2 year old will probably have a deeper understanding of things 20 years down the road.

In the first few years of life, brain development is dependent on stimulation. Exercising your brain at that time can in fact build a better brain. But by the time these kids receive this lesson about the brain being like a muscle, all they can do is prime their brains by working hard to acquire knowledge. All the effort they put in wont raise their IQ, although it can raise their grades.

I'd say IQ is a measure of how quickly and effectively one can build new neural pathways, or re-purpose existing ones, whereas "understanding of knowledge" is the ability to navigate and investigate existing ones.

And this is why effort matters... because the ability to build pathways means nothing if you don't actually build anything with it.